Round 2 Race Report

Round 2 – Snetterton, 18/19 May 2008

Pole for the 6 hour race was snatched by last year's champions Team GBmoto (Mark Smith Halvorsen/Mick Godfrey/Pete Jennings – CorporateFX Yamaha R1) from BSB refugees Co-Ordit Racing in second and first round winners, Sweatshop Moores Racing in third.

That did not tell the whole story though as GBmoto managed to complete only 16 laps over three 20 minute qualifying sessions, due to electrical and fuel pump problems. Pre race testing included a small spill for the Corporate FX backed machine as well as an engine change as they slotted their YPE Power race motor back into place with a new gearbox inserted! Their pole time was set at 1m 10.47s, almost half a second quicker than Co-Ordit, set by a flying Pete Jennings.

At the noon start, held in dry but cool conditions, it was GBmoto who shot off the line and built up an initial lead over Sweatshop Moores, Ducks X, Moores Racing and Co-Ordit. GBmoto pitted to swap riders after 53 minutes with Pete Jennings handing over to Mick Godfrey, commenting on some ‘clutch problems’.

After half an hour with Mick increasing the teams lead, it was clear from the rising wail of the CorporateFX Yamaha at the end of the start/finish straight, that all was not well in the transmission department and that the superb team of mechanics would be called into action at the next stop. Over a lap in front, GBmoto pitted for the second time and took the decision to fix the clutch, handing over the lead to Sweatshop Moores in the process. The team used the time well and not only rebuilt the clutch, but changed front and rear tyres, brakes and re-fuelled, before sending Mark Smith-Halvorsen out for his first stint with the words “new everything - bed them in”!

Macca entered the fray in 7th position and then set about the field determined to try and pull the team back into contention. After close to 55 minutes on track, “No. 66” was back into second place, albeit 4 ½ laps down on the consistent form of the leaders Sweatshop Moores. Meanwhile, Richard Cooper on the Co-Ordit Yamaha R1 lost drive coming out of ‘the Esses’ and shot straight into the pit lane for attention, this would dog them for the rest of the race.

At the five hour mark after some more rapid riding by Pete Jennings and Mick Godfrey, GBmoto and Sweatshop Moores were on the same lap separated by a mere 42 seconds. Twenty minutes later Macca passed the leaders, just as they entered the pits to swap riders and put John Paul-Scott on board for their last stint. With under 30 minutes to run, GBmoto entered the pits for their last stop with Pete Jennings taking over from MSH, they re-emerged onto the start/finish straight with only 5 seconds separating the first two teams. Ten minutes later John Paul-Scott crashed the Sweatshop Moores R1, trying to close the gap and had to push the bike in for repair.

At the drop of the chequer flag, GBmoto took their first win of the season, ahead of Sweatshop Moores (who had lost four laps in the melee) Moores Racing, Darkside Endurance, Team Viking and the Throttle Monkeys. Fantastically close racing from a great National Series. Te next round is at Pembrey on the 21/22 June - be there or miss out.